[OSM-dev] aviation maps?

Ákos Maróy akos at maroy.hu
Wed Aug 11 18:49:04 BST 2010

Jukka,

> X-Plane project has lots of free aerial charts, see
> http://data.x-plane.com/
>
> I have checked some years ago a few of the Finnish airports and at least
> in that sample the quality was excellent. License is not OSM compatible
> (GPL). This is what the author says about the license:

yes, funnily I thought if this too. when I asked the X-Plane people
about it, they said that actually this database is quite old, and
updating it is problematic. also, for Hungary for example, it only
contains like 2-3 airports out of around 40.

moreover, it doesn't contain the VFR airspace descriptions, etc. only
navigation points & airports. nevertheless, it's an intriguing concept
to use a simulation charts in real aviation :)

Akos