[OSM-dev] searching for good document of binary map formats

Scott Crosby scrosby at cs.rice.edu
Sat Aug 28 05:24:55 BST 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 2:35 AM, feverzsj <feverzsj at hotmail.com> wrote:

> hi, list:
>  I've started to develop a new binary map format for display, geocoding and
> possibly routing on mobile device. After checking out some active routing
> projects, I found most of them have no or poor document for their binary
> format.

I have a binary format thats going into osmosis fairly soon. It is
primarily intended for use as an interchange format, not for
geocoding, routing, etc, but it might be adapted into a display
format. The main perk is that it can contain the entire planet,
including all tags and metadata, in about 6gb. It is also very fast to
read and write. For details on the design, please see my earlier email
threads, in particular,
http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@openstreetmap.org/msg11392.html I have
made only one substantual change since then. I have made DenseNodes
able to store tags, and have thus removed Node's from the design
entirely. (This is not written up anywhere except the protobuf docs.)

>  Navit actually has a page about their binary format, but almost just an
> outline. For Gosmore, there was once a post about its format (about 2 yeas
> ago?), which was also not so detailed.
>  Several years ago, I've developed a binary map using zoom-level based sub
> r*-tree of map tiles. It's very fast even for low end mobile device, but
> missing feature like geocoding and routing.

Could you describe your design and the filesizes?

>  So, it will be grateful, if someone can offer me some good documents.

Scott