[OSM-dev] Extracting national boundaries

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 30 11:33:51 BST 2010

  Pieren, you are right, it looks like I should be able to work with the
data for France.

Specific countries (with the top level relations) that are definitely
giving challenges right now are:
*    Slovakia (#14296)
*    Luxembourg (#28711)
*    Czech Republic (#51684)
*    Switzerland (#51701)
*    Lithuania (#72596)
*    Spain (#92863)

Current roadblock is that the country relation contains subrelations
which contain subrelations. I dived a bit deeper into Spain. It has a
top-level relation #92863 at admin_level=2 which includes relation
#349042 (Basque Country) at admin_level=4. This contains a whole load of
ways, plus some subrelations e.g. #349011 (Araba / Álava) which is at
admin_level=6. This, in turn, contains many relations for individual
towns such as #339581 (Kuartango) at admin_level=8 which thankfully only
contains ways. So in order to build up the outer boundary of Spain, I
have to query for the boundary of every single town in Spain, and then
collect all the ways together and work out which ones are internal (not
relevant to the outer border which is what I am trying to get to)
including handling enclaves and exclaves. This nesting of administrative
areas works OK for the area, as the area covered by a country is equal
to the sum of the areas covered by its consituent parts, but it's a
right PITA if you are trying to work with the boundaries as lines and
polygons.

Thanks again for any assistance!

Colin