[OSM-dev] start of gwtosm the google webtoolkit port of josm

Sebastian Klein bastikln at googlemail.com
Mon May 31 12:58:39 BST 2010

Andrew Gregory wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2010 00:40:57 +0800, Peter Körner <osm-lists at mazdermind.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Am 30.05.2010 17:22, schrieb jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com:
>>> I am happy to say, have made some progress.
>>>
>>> gwtosm now can display simple roads.
>> I'm sorry but I'm really not sure what this is all about. Josm is
>> designed as an offline editing tools. Why bend'n'break it to run in your
>> browser? We already have an online editor called Potlatch.
>
> I think a web-based online editor that doesn't rely on a plugin would be a
> good thing.

+1

@jamesmikedupont: What is your vision for this project? Do you try to
create a cut down version of JOSM that runs in a browser or will it be a
completely new editor that happens to reuse some source code from
another project?

What are the limitations of a gwt/js port? Is it still possible to open
a local gpx file or do I have to upload it to some server, first? Same
question for image files.

Anyway, great idea, let's see how it performs compared to the java version!

Sebastian

PS: Maybe you can find a better name for this... What about JOSM-- :)