[OSM-dev] start of gwtosm the google webtoolkit port of josm

jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Mon May 31 13:13:39 BST 2010

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Sebastian Klein
<bastikln at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Andrew Gregory wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 May 2010 00:40:57 +0800, Peter Körner <osm-lists at mazdermind.de>
>> wrote:

>>> I'm sorry but I'm really not sure what this is all about. Josm is
>>> designed as an offline editing tools. Why bend'n'break it to run in your
>>> browser? We already have an online editor called Potlatch.
>>
>> I think a web-based online editor that doesn't rely on a plugin would be a
>> good thing.
>
> +1
>
> @jamesmikedupont: What is your vision for this project?

My vision is to implement as much of the jsom as possible on the gwt.
Basically first to implement the rendering, then the editing.

I am starting to get an idea of a svg renderer and using svg
stylesheets to select how to style to maps. also click handling can be
done via svg. But my vision is basically to create a set of patches
for jsom that will separate the core map storage, rendering and
navigation in a reusable java component and to move the platform
specific code to a gwt or swing/awt lib.

mike

> Do you try to
> create a cut down version of JOSM that runs in a browser or will it be a
> completely new editor that happens to reuse some source code from
> another project?
>
> What are the limitations of a gwt/js port? Is it still possible to open
> a local gpx file or do I have to upload it to some server, first? Same
> question for image files.

I think it should be possible to read local files if they are for
example selected in an upload bot or accessible via an http request
http://google-web-toolkit.googlecode.com/svn/javadoc/1.5/com/google/gwt/user/client/HTTPRequest.html