[OSM-dev] Multilingual Maps Overlays

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 00:35:22 GMT 2010

I have been convinced to use loc_name for alternate names the local
people use which does not have the same etymology (history and origin
of the word) as the name. The city of Luxembourg has a nice example of loc_name:

name=Luxembourg
name:lb=Lëtzebuerg
name:fr=Luxembourg
name:de=Luxemburg
loc_name=d'Stad (or alternatively loc_name:lb)

That's coherent with the definition of loc_name in
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name

> "gsw" is an iso code grouping all alemannic german dialects around the three countries Germany, Switzerland and France borders.
> But they are so many differences between them

I see, Ok. But this suggests to use a distinct language tag, not
loc_name, as Marc suggested:
> You can probably use IETF language tags with regions, so for Züridütsch you would have:
> gsw-x-zueri (gsw=Swiss German, x-zueri=private subtag Züri).

I think this sounds useful (but I would use the canton abbreviation as
private subtag): So for the city of Zürich its:

name=Zürich
name:de:Zürich
name:en:Zurich
name:gsw-x-zh:Züri (gsw=alemannic german dialect group,
x-zueri=private subtag canton of Zürich)
alt_name=Limmatstadt

> In your example, loc_name would be "Stroosburi".

Stroosburi (or Schdroosburi as indicated by
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strassburg ) seems to me to be the local
pronounciation of the respective official name. So I would suggest:

name=Strasbourg
name:de=Straßburg
name:gsw-x-l=Schdroosburi (gsw=alemannic german dialect group,
x-zueri=private subtag Luxembourgish)

How about this?
-S.