[OSM-dev] Problem In Updating Map Data

Stephan Plepelits skunk at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Sep 5 21:04:23 BST 2010

On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 01:10:40AM +0530, Parveen Arora wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 1:03 AM, Stephan Plepelits
> >> But I have not clearly understand that what this process is?
> > Congrats, osmosis is working. But you are using a fairly old version,
> > apparently 0.31. This version didn't have support for replication. Try it
> > with the newest available version, you'll see it will work much better :)
> ok, will it automatically replaced by the old one 0.31?
You mean, if osmosis updates itself? As the path to your osmosis
installation is /home/hsrai/osmosis-0.31 it does not update itself, you
downloaded and extracted it to this directory yourself.

> and now only the last command has not worked
> osm2pgsql --append [my customized arguments] changes.osc.gz
> error is again command not found
>
> osm2pgsql is installed.
Apparently osm2pgsql (as osmosis in the first problem) is not in your PATH.
If you write "echo $PATH" (without the quotes) you will get a list of
directories. These is the list of directories where your shell searches for
executables. If the executable osm2pgsql (resp. osmosis) is in a different
directory you can either specify its full path (as we did in the
osmosis-example) or add its path to the PATH-variable by typing "export
PATH=$PATH:/path/to/directory" (attention this is temporary and valid only
for the same shell you were in).

But as this discussion is getting rather off-topic you should consult
some guide book on shell programming. There are so many guides to shell
programming on the internet, it's hard to recommend a specific one.
For some information on the PATH-variable you could consult this:
http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/cs348/unix_path.html

greetings,
        Stephan
--
Seid unbequem, seid Sand, nicht Öl im Getriebe der Welt! - Günther Eich