[OSM-dev] Renderd problems.

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 09:10:05 BST 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 08:20 +0200, Peter Körner wrote:
> Am 28.09.2010 16:58, schrieb Samir Faci (Dev):
> > When I tried to use render_list to regenerate all the usual tiles
> > (that I care about 0-13).
> >
> > It gets to up to lvl 10 then almost dies.  When I tried to run just
> > level 10 it dies almost immediately.
> renderd is not able to handle such big queues. In our tests it started
> to die at 1000 metatiles in queue. z0-13 for the whole planet are 21848
> metatiles, z0-13 would be 1398104 metatiles -- so much more than renderd
> can handle.

I'm not sure what went wrong for you but the main OpenStreetMap server
regularly runs with the queue full of 1000 requests. I'm not aware of
any fundamental problems in renderd with handling this level of load.

I know that some sites have problems when trying to scale up to handle
hundreds of simultaneous styles but this is something which it was not
originally designed to handle. Loading styles on-demand is an obvious
solution but there is an efficiency trade-off.

	Jon