[OSM-dev] Renderd problems.

Peter Körner osm-lists at mazdermind.de
Wed Sep 29 09:18:14 BST 2010

Am 29.09.2010 10:10, schrieb Jon Burgess:
> I'm not sure what went wrong for you but the main OpenStreetMap server
> regularly runs with the queue full of 1000 requests. I'm not aware of
> any fundamental problems in renderd with handling this level of load.

We started with a very small number of pre-rendedered tiles on disk when
we routed (for some minutes) a lot of traffic to the server. mod_tile
tried to push all tiles in the renderd queue but renderd had a hard
limit of 1000 tiles in the queue. This limit was reached filled after
seconds and from that point on the render processes tarted to deadlock
themselves anyhow and the throughput got drastically down.

I did not check which part of the whole process was the reason for all
this but tirex does not have this hard-1000 limit and works much better
with the huge number of styles.

I don't say renderd is somehow bad, it was just not the right tool for
our inhomogeneous and fast-changing setup with a lot of different styles.

Peter