[OSM-dev] Harmless edits

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sat Dec 3 19:49:20 GMT 2011

Am 03.12.2011 19:36, schrieb Frederik Ramm:
> Hi,
>
> On 12/03/2011 01:07 PM, Simon Poole wrote:
>> - is object deletion an operation that we consider trivial and not
>> worthy of protection. Wrong mailing list for that discussion, but if the
>> answer is "no" (unlikely IMHO) we would actually have to undo the
>> deletions
>
> And when a denier creates an object and another denier deletes it we
> vanish in a puff of logic ;)

Perhaps I'm stupid or so, but I don't see where the paradox is supposed
to be. If we consider what we are doing as rolling back in time edits
done by decliners everything would seem to be completly consistent. In
any case what is this discussion doing on dev?

>> - we will want to keep a list (a map) of such objects for potential
>> replacement of objects that were replaced by "non-agreers" (non-agreer
>> deletes a object and creates a new object in its place)
>
> I thought about this but I guess it's not worth the effort since you'd
> be resurrecting stuff that has been collecting dust in hiding for,
> potentially, years and therefore might be quite inaccurate.
Deleted objects may still contain useful information, obviously
resurrection should be done thoughtfully.

Simon