[OSM-dev] speeding up loading an OSM dump into PostGIS?

sly (sylvain letuffe) liste at letuffe.org
Thu Dec 15 12:32:51 GMT 2011

> Strangely, if you encounter a problem with the server then it is
> necessary to ACTUALLY TELL SOMEBODY ABOUT IT.

Everybody be cool, this is (not) a robbery !
Nor any disregard to actual sys admin/dev of the main api server doing an
amazing job.

This is just a general statement concerning isolated cases (which I didn't
call "problems" due to needed and intended protections against what some
people use to call "bad requests")

What I'm considering is thinking about moving those so called "bad requests"
to new category like "burden another server please"

Exemples of bad requests are :
http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/relation/1403916/full
http://api.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/map?bbox=2.253,48.8145507,2.430,48.901
And more globaly any request that requests a lot of data

Other, more subtle "bad requests" due to what seams collateral damage like :
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2011-December/023945.html

There are maybe other cases I don't know about as I'm not a main api server
sys admin, but I try to guess, and maybe you could help me by answering this
question :
Will the maintenance and stress on this server (therefore on it's sys admins)
whould be painless if all read api calls were directed to other servers ?

--
sly
qui suis-je : http://sly.letuffe.org