[OSM-dev] Improving History and Monitoring

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Sat May 7 16:32:13 BST 2011

On 7 May 2011 16:18, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:

> I don't see the point of distinguishing "big" edits because people don't
> really care - the only thing they really case about is whether the edit
> touches a given area. Big is simply a (poor) proxy for that.

You've touched on something here that I've been thinking about. One
way of restating our goal in highlighting certain changes, either in
the overall history or in the changesets of an individual mapper, is:

It would be nice to see highlighted, or be able to filter based on,
changesets that are "interesting" to you.

If we can once define one or more definition of "interesting" it would
be possible to flag or filter accordingly. Some possible definitions
of "interesting":

* Is within a certain radius of a certain location, very likely the
current user's set home location. To support this, a user profile
would allow setting of the radius of interest according to how much
that mapper gets around.

* Is within a certain radius (and this might be a fixed distance for
all mappers) of something the current mapper mapped.

* Is inside a certain bbox which the mapper would get to define in his
profile. A bit like the radius mentioned above, but maybe more useful.

In this context a "big" edit might still be "interesting" - but not if
it simply encompasses an area of interest. It would probably have to
include edits that were themselves inside the area of interest. That
seems hard, though.

Dermot