[OSM-dev] Improving History and Monitoring

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Sun May 8 10:33:22 BST 2011

Hi,

First off, thanks Mikel - great improvements on the history tab.

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Mikel Maron <mikel_maron at yahoo.com> wrote:

> [..]

In the bigger picture
> * The real way to deal with big and bot changesets is to have this listing
> driving by OWL. What's needed to make that happen?
> * I'm interested in exploring how incorporating our trust networks improves
> monitoring. For instance, could highlight friends vs non-friends in the
> listing.

This is something that some people have been exploring conceptually[1] but I
am looking for an easy way to start implementing it. I believe strongly in
the possibilities of trust, for use within the community as well as for
outsiders just wanting to use the data and would want to, for example,
filter the data using some kind of trust threshold.

> * How could we incorporate more visualization tools directly, like
> ITOMapper?

Ideally I think this should be approached at API level. There are so many
visualizations you could think of, and which ones are useful depends on a
lot of personal preferences. Some people may like to see particular feature
groups highlighted (e.g. cycling networks), others will want to highlight
changes that affect routing. A history-enabled API[2] would enable anyone to
create these visualisations - along with many other tools.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Badges
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/History_API_and_Database

--
Martijn van Exel