[OSM-dev] release of full-history extracts

Peter Körner osm-lists at mazdermind.de
Mon May 30 14:29:09 BST 2011

Dear OSM-Develpoers,

New extracts are now online, including the requested Amsterdam extract:

<ftp://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/misc/openstreetmap/osm-full-history-extracts/110418/hardcut-bbox-pbf/>

They are in a slightly modified PBF-Format that supports the visible
Flag [1].

They can be read using this modified version of osmium [2] and its tools
(ie. osmium_convert [3], which allows you to convert the file back to xml).

If you need help reading those files, don't hesitate to ask me.

It has been created using my history-splitter [4] which is build using
this very cool library.

To generate those dumps I first used osmium_convert to create a
pbf-bersion of the full-planet-110418-0000.osm.bz2 (I'll publish this
file soon). This conversion took 8 hours.

 From this pbf file the actual split took just 1 hour (compared to the
21 hours when I was writing to .osm.bz2 files!!) - what an incredible
speedup!

Peter

[1]
<https://github.com/MaZderMind/OSM-binary/commit/1ddaca6a03afde8d16e4bf7ab3cd065f09c8d9b1>