[OSM-dev] release of full-history extracts

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Mon May 30 15:06:55 BST 2011

Peter - so cool!

I did some work independently of this thinking about a good way to
store history in a spatial database.
I'm taking the osmosis 0.6 schema as a point of departure.
What I'm thinking now is to have a table for ways similar to the one
that exists now, but then with version and intermediate_version.
The intermediate versions are the ones created by way nodes getting a
new version without affecting the way version.
I'd say there is no need to store all geometries of intermediary ways,
but only the significant ones - i.e. where the node geometry changes
and thus the way geometry.
There would then be a new table way_gemoetries that contains only the
geometries for significant intermediate versions as well as new way
versions. The foreign key would be (id, version,
intermediate_version).
The original ways table would only require a new intermediate_version column.

Alternatively, there could be a database that does not store way
geometries, keeping size down and import performance up, but would
make mosy history queries much slower.

Is this the same line of thought you are having for the DB schema?

Best
Martijn

--
Martijn van Exel