[OSM-dev] Timestamp in PBF files

Scott Crosby scott at sacrosby.com
Wed Dec 5 04:18:24 GMT 2012

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:12 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 12/04/12 07:50, Jochen Topf wrote:
>
>> That still isn't specific to Osmosis. Somebody else could implement this
>> algorithm. Markus seems to have done so, albeit a bit differently. The
>> algorithm should be documented somewhere and if you think there can be
>> other algorithms, maybe this one should get a name.
>>

> I'd call it the "Osmosis algorithm", and therefore name the header fields
> "osmosis_...", to make clear that they are intended for this algorithm. - I
> agree that it would be nice for the algorithm to be documented somewhere
> but I'm loathe to make this a prerequisite for the proposed changes to
> OSM-Binary because it will unnecessarily delay the process.

I think I'm willing to call it a consensus. Thank you everyone for the
discussion.

And Frederik thank you for sending me a pull request. I've committed it
as-is. I'm happy to go with osmosis_* for the fieldnames. It's the osmosis
algorithm, and we can always add on other metadata fields in the future.
I've merged the pull request and I think I've added the right changelog,
maven, and debian glue for the new version and pushed the v1.3.0 tag to
github.

If I've missed anything, please send me a followup email.

Scott