[OSM-dev] Timestamp in PBF files

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Dec 11 14:53:39 GMT 2012

On 12/05/2012 05:18 AM, Scott Crosby wrote:
> I've merged the pull request and I think I've added the right
> changelog, maven, and debian glue for the new version and pushed the
> v1.3.0 tag to github.

Thank you.

As of today, the Geofabrik .osm.pbf downloads contain replication
information in the PBF header.

The software most of you use to read PBF files is unlikely to make use
of that information already, but will not be harmed by it.

I've built preliminary support for these new fields into Osmium and you
can get my version here:
https://github.com/woodpeck/osmium/tree/timestamp - if you build the
"osmium_debug" tool in examples it will dump the new headers to stdout.
If you plan to read/write replication information in your own programs I
suggest that you wait until support is available in Jochen's Osmium
version as the interface is likely to change slightly.

I expect that Marqqs' "osmupdate" utility either already supports these
new fields or will do so in the very near future.

It would be great if someone were to add support to Osmosis which is
likely to be a bit tricky as you have to shove replication information
through the pipeline, but if all else fails I might have a go at it
during the holidays.