[OSM-dev] Screenshots from OpenStreetMap-Carto spot checking

AJ Ashton aj.ashton at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 21:18:34 GMT 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Toby Murray <toby.murray at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was doing some poking around yesterday and noticed that county
> borders (admin_levl=6) aren't being rendered at zoom 9 and 10. But I
> do recall some confusion on the existing style between ways and
> relations. I don't remember the details but there was some difference
> between the zoom level at which ways and relations tagged with
> admin_level=6 got rendered. Maybe this caused confusion when porting
> to carto? Easy place to see this difference:
> http://bl.ocks.org/d/4271706/#9.00/39.4664/-96.9125

This seems to be about boundary relation way members being individually
(and redundantly?) tagged with boundary=administrative. Some of the
admin_level=6 ways in this area [1] are tagged as boundary=administrative,
and others are tagless members of boundary relations. If you zoom out, the
tagless ways disappear at zoom level 10 and below.

[1]: http://osm.org/go/T7OwGz3--

This commented out section of the stylesheet may be why the CartoCSS
version is different:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/admin.mss#L75-L85

--
AJ Ashton