[OSM-dev] helping #switch2osm

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 12 22:06:02 GMT 2012

Hi

Over the past couple days, I gave some assistance to someone setting up their own tile infrastructure. They mostly got along on their own, following http://weait.com/content/build-your-own-openstreetmap-server, and picking through the wiki, but they definitely could've had an easier time.

And we should expect more of this soon, and we want this! Nestoria and StreetEasy switching, the Wired article. Just the beginning.
How do we help folks get their tile servers up and running even easier. Here's some suggestions we discussed...

1) Clear instructions, at an easily findable address (outside the wiki, which is hard to follow) (anyone register switch2osm.com? or tryosm.org). Should include some description of the different options, with links for getting into the details ... but at least a clear guide through the well worn path of setting up a tile server.

2) A packaged solution, like a chef recipe, to install everything needed.

3) A VM image for an open source virtualization package, that has everything installed. May not necessarily be for production, but at least make it easy to try things out.

4) ....

Would the EWG be the place to get this together?

Cheers
Mikel

== Mikel Maron ==
+14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron