[OSM-dev] helping #switch2osm

Roger Weeks roger at tethr.org
Mon Jan 16 19:16:26 GMT 2012

Mapnik not being in git is just one of the many issues with this doc. For
example, mapnik, if you get the current build from git, won't compile under
Ubuntu 10.04. You've got to go back and get an earlier 2.0 version or add a
PPA and get packages that other people have created.

The libboost versions of 1.40 don't work with 2.0 versions of mapnik
either. You need at least 1.41 but those packages aren't available for
10.04, so you need to add a PPA for 1.42 versions.

If you try and build this on a newer version of ubuntu you run across other
similar package and software version problems. Ubuntu 11.10 comes with
Postgres 9 and there are enough changes there that I was unable to get a
PostGIS server with Mapnik working.

All of this is why I suggested that a chef recipe, a juju charm, and a
pre-configured VM would all be ideal ways to prevent this sort of thing
from happening.

Roger

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 4:38 AM, SomeoneElse <lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk>wrote:

> On 12/01/2012 22:10, Ian Dees wrote:
>
>> During the book sprint last year I put together Richard's blog post and
>> some stuff related to renderd/tirex to create this chapter in the book:
>>
>> http://en.flossmanuals.net/**openstreetmap/setting-up-your-**
>> own-tile-server/<http://en.flossmanuals.net/openstreetmap/setting-up-your-own-tile-server/>
>>
>> It should be fairly complete and copy-pasteable. I'd be more than happy
>> to make changes if anyone sees errors.
>>

> One thing that I have noticed is that Mapnik source isn't in svn any more:
>
> mapniksvn: Repository moved permanently to 'https://github.com/mapnik/**
> mapnik <https://github.com/mapnik/mapnik>'; please relocate
>
> The problem is larger than just that one issue though - things get updated
> all the time, and there isn't (as far as I'm aware) a "stable" version of
> the required software in one place that works now and will stay working
> when Mapnik upgrades to version x+1 or someone updates mod_tile to support
> more environments.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

Roger Weeks