[OSM-dev] [GSoC] Data tile service project updates

Michael Daines michael at mdaines.com
Wed Jul 4 03:29:09 BST 2012

Some updates on my project:

Last week I worked on feature simplification and filtering, and on building a tile set for a somewhat larger area: California.

I have a demo data tile set posted in mbtiles format. The individual tiles are GeoJSON feature sets as specified on my project page, each compressed using gzip.

  http://mdaines-tiles.s3.amazonaws.com/california-z10.mbtiles

This can be viewed using the script/debug command in my project's repository -- it provides a web interface which draws the data using a Leaflet canvas layer.

  https://github.com/mdaines/render-data-tile

The tileset was produced from the GeoFabrik extract of California. The data was imported into a PostGIS database with osm2pgsql and then the tiles were produced with this script and config file:

  https://github.com/mdaines/render-data-tile/blob/master/build_california_tileset.rb
  https://github.com/mdaines/render-data-tile/blob/master/basic.rb

I created a more complete tile set with zoom levels 12 to 14, but it's a bigger file (450 MB) -- let me know if you'd like to have a look. Zoom level 14 includes all features from the extract.

-- Michael