[OSM-dev] Licence redaction ready to begin

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Wed Jul 11 14:07:13 BST 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> I think that from a legal perspective, the algorithm is less relevant than
> the outcome. If, after the change is through, someone can pinpoint a case
> where protected intellectual property of a non-agreer is demonstrably still
> in the database, then it needs to be fixed, no matter how good the algorithm
> was sounding.

As the OSMF position is that the entirety of OSM is not protected by
copyright law, and that CC-BY-SA 2.0 "unprotects" the content with
respect to all other intellectual property rights, that might be
difficult to do :).

In any case, I need a little more than "can't demonstrate copyright
infringement" before I can comfortably reuse OSM for commercial
purposes.

--

As a separate question, can someone give a high-level overview of
"redaction"?  What will the full-history download look like?  Is the