[OSM-dev] Info request on: additional GIS layers

Tomas Straupis tomasstraupis at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 20:20:38 GMT 2012

Hello

  Some governmental institutions are willing to use OSM software stack
and share their information. For example they could use a base map and
share information they have. Some information they want to collect and
give out to public is perfectly "fit" for OSM (say max speeds) while
others are purely "their" thing which should not go to main OSM
database (say information like which "community" a specific house
belongs to). (So they want to share all information with public, but
some information should be captured on a separate storage/db)

  They would like to have a separate layer to hold such "non-OSM"
information. This would keep OSM database clean and it would allow
government to take responsibility for quality assurance and updates of
that data.

  How should this be implemented? Separate osm database (with data of
those additional layers only) and then different editors could be used
to fill that database by pointing to api url of this extra server? If
I need more layers, more databases have to be created etc.?
(presentation part of mapnik/openlayers is clear)

  I was looking for information about this on osm wiki but didn't find
anything useful so maybe you can give me some urls/keywords where I
can read about it?

  Thank you

--
Tomas Straupis