[OSM-dev] OSMCoastline

Peter Körner osm-lists at mazdermind.de
Thu Mar 8 10:35:00 GMT 2012

Am 08.03.2012 00:00, schrieb Frederik Ramm:
> Hi,
>
> On 03/07/2012 04:05 PM, Tom MacWright wrote:
>> Whoah! Nice work. All of these osmium-related projects are really
>> exciting, can't wait to have more performant and efficient parts of the
>> OSM stack. Plus, they're well-written and hosted on GitHub :)
>
> Github is a third-party, proprietary, commercial software hosting
> platform which as part of its marketing strategy makes certain services
> available free of charge for certain users - currently.
>
> That's ok, and every developer is free to chose where they want to host
> their project.
>
> But I wouldn't go so far as to applaud someone for that choice.
Well positive side of git is, that once github goes crazy every user of
the cloned repo can do an add remote && push and switch to another
hosting location without loosing any history. This would not be possible
with eg. svn on sourceforge.

On the other hand github gives with its forks and pull-requests neat
tools to make software better in a community. Once there's OpenGithub or
sth. like that it would not be problematic to switch over - or use both
systems in parallel.

So this applause is for using git: *applause*

Peter