[OSM-dev] Training during read only database period

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 20:30:37 BST 2012

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 1:22 PM, Mike  Dupont
<jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Yes, we have the fosm.org server you can use commonmap.com
>
> and I have today implemented a test server with a fake oauth that allows you
> to edit with potlach, josm and merkaartor
> code is here https://github.com/h4ck3rm1k3/FOSM-Api, you can easily set it
> up, requires no database, the only thing that is hardcoded is the path where
> it writes the output, i will have to make that configurable.
>
> The potlatch is installed here you can try it.
> pine02.fosm.org/random.dev.openstreetmap.org/potlatch2/potlatch2.html
>
> the api root is here : you can configure your client to use it.
> pine02.fosm.org/FOSM-Api/OSM-API-Proxy/public/dispatch.cgi,
>
> the changesets are written here :
> http://pine02.fosm.org/FOSM-Api/OSM-API-Proxy/public/changesets/

For the record, none of these are OSM services. FOSM is a fork of OSM
data performed by a few people who were not happy with the license
change and decided to make their own OSM-like project that will remain
under a creative commons license. Also, last I knew they didn't do
live rendering of changes so that may not be as useful for your
purposes.

If you were planning on using JOSM, you should still be able to
download data and make changes locally. You just won't be able to
upload them. I'm not sure if Potlatch will be available at all or not.

One thing you could do is download data and edit it in JOSM and then
save it out to a file on disk and render it locally using, for
example, Maperitive. I have a blog post about using Maperitive if you
would like to investigate this more:
http://ksmapper.blogspot.com/2011/08/simple-openstreetmap-tile-rendering.html

Toby