[OSM-dev] Feedback for Vespucci-dev

Marcus Wolschon Marcus at Wolschon.biz
Mon Oct 1 07:12:42 BST 2012

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 7:56 AM, Jan Schejbal <
jan.mailinglisten at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have now made and committed the following changes.
>
> - Add "Advanced Preferences" (and move some stuff there)

Less clutter. :)

> - Add pref to disable context menu in unnecessary cases
> (default: enabled = show always)
>
> - Add heuristics for context menu (to always show it when really
> necessary). If the above-mentioned pref is unset, it basically works
> like this: Get the list of touched objects. If there are OSMBugs, always
> show. If there are no nodes but multiple ways, always show. If there is
> at least one node, then the nearest node is considered to be clicked,
> UNLESS this node has another node *really* close to it (not to the click
> area). This ensures that exactly overlapping nodes and ways always bring
> up the context menu, while other cases can be handled quickly. (Way
> tolerance is low enough so it doesn't cause false hits.)
>
> - Sort context menu entries by distance to click (nodes by distance
> first, then ways by distance)

Great idea!

> - Undo menu: Add background colors (black/white) and icons properly
>
> I now always set background and foreground color. The problem before was
> that I only set one of them and/or only in one case, I think. I also
> added custom-made greyscale icons. Feel free to remove the icons if they
> suck/eat too much space or remove the coloring if it causes problems (I
> think it shouldn't this time). Color has the big plus over icons that it
> a) doesn't need space and b) is easier to notice than small icons.
>
> - Tag editor: Changed "X" icon size to match editor rows, force minimum
> text field size
>
> The text fields were REALLY small on my device, and the X was too large.
> Indeed, the spacing between the fields was the "X" being larger than the
> text fields. I gave the text fields a minimum height and a bottom border
> to fix this, and shrunk the "X" so it is now aligned.
>
> - Tag editor: Set autosuggest dropdown spacing to minimum text field
> size - I chose to use 36dp as the height of one dropdown item (not
> counting the spacers). This is already more than the text field size on
> my device, which is 36dp *including* the spacers (and was even smaller
> before I introduced the minHeight). If the fields and X are big enough
> to hit, the autocomplete is too. If the autocomplete is too small, we
> need to also enlarge the fields (in my tests, I didn't have trouble
> hitting them correctly, though).

Will have to try it out to be sure.
Hitting a text field not precisely has less consequences then hitting the
wrong autosuggest. ...just a thought.

> I suspect the field height could be device/style specific.

It should be in device indipendent pixels based on the size of
a finger. Not device specific.

> I did NOT make any changes to the content of the autosuggest (i.e.
> re-add the duplicates or move the corresponding entries to top), so we
> currently have a plain alphabetic list. I would like to hear some more
> opinions on this if possible.

I guess an LRU schema would be way to complicated to implement
and users would be surprised to find their tags at different positions in
the list every time.

> Should we maybe remove the distinction
> between recommended and "mandatory" tags and add them all when applying
> a preset? Currently, recommended tags are more or less invisible to the
> user, so we should do *something*.

The best way would probably to check for mandatory tags
every time a tag was added or changed and just add them.
I'm not sure how users would react to selecting the wrong tag
and getting all these additional ones to delete before they can
select the one they actually wanted.

> Oh, and I just noticed that I forgot to update the appname.xml, but I am
> not the first one. Should we maybe put a $Rev: $ SVN tag in there for
> now? The dollar signs look nasty but it makes sure it's always up to date.

Good idea.
It will always be forgotten once in a while.

I returned last night and will sign the release this afternoon after work
and after checking that there are no open translation tickets with texts
we haven't applied yet. Weekend was too busy with a thousand other
projects that can only be done on weekends.

Marcus