[OSM-dev] uMap Project: OSM everywhere
yohanboniface at free.fr
Thu Jan 3 21:51:32 GMT 2013
This email for introducing the "uMap project".
TL;DR: http://umap.fluv.io/ (demo site).
The goal of the project is to provide an app for easy creation of slippy
maps for *non technical* end user, with POI, polygons, etc., and
embed/share them "all over the Big Internet".
This project comes *without* any hosting service SaaS like: it just
provides the app and will let interested people host (and customize)
their own instances.
It's in alpha state, I'm preparing the 0.1 release.
Here are the already covered features:
- create/edit/delete maps
- choose the tile layers
- add/edit/delete Markers, Polyline, Polygon
- manage categories of POIs, to change icon or colors all at once
- import GeoJSON and KML from a file or an URL
- manage permissions (choose who can edit: only owner, selected editors
- choose icon type
- add pictograms to icons (closed list for now)
- change icon color (from POI itself or for a group of POIs)
- choose the licence of the datas
- manage a caption for the map
- get an iframe to spread the map
- all is i18n compliant
Nice features to add in the future:
- import POIs from XAPI
- upload custom icons
- add download option for getting data in GeoJSON
- better mobile UI
- choose colors from a palette
About the modules:
* Leaflet-Storage : Leaflet plugin, built on top of Leaflet.Draw et
nothing about the backend, so one can also create a Rails, Node or
* django-leaflet-storage : Leaflet-Storage backend django powered;
it's an app, so reusable out the uMap project
* uMap : Django project gluing the previous modules, which goal is
only to have a plug'n play solution, with some more CSS than the default
How to help?
- test on http://umap.fluv.io and add issues for bugs or enhancements
- add new translations (only French has been done)
- host an (alpha) instance
his own backend) :)
Thanks in advance for feedback and help,
Happy Open 2013!
More information about the dev