[OSM-dev] mod_tile stable version ?

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 16:16:07 UTC 2013

On 03/26/2013 04:52 AM, Bernard Fouché wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm new to openstreetmap and I've nearly succeeded in having a working
> tile server on a Fedora 18 box.
>
> However I experience problems with mod_tile/renderd:
>
> - all wiki pages I find simply state for instance:
>
> Get and install mod_tile itself:
> cd ~/src
> svn co http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/utils/mod_tile
> cd mod_tile
> ./autogen.sh
> ./configure
>
> - Revision 29404, the current revision also has a bug in store_file.c:

>     tmp = malloc(sizeof(char) * strlen(meta_path) + 12);
>     sprintf(tmp, "%s.%lu", meta_path, pthread_self());
>
>     if (mkdirp(tmp))
>         free(tmp);
>         return -1;
>
>     fd = open(tmp, O_WRONLY | O_TRUNC | O_CREAT, 0666);
>
> '{}' are missing around the free/return following a failed call to
> mkdirp().
> https://github.com/openstreetmap/mod_tile/blob/master/store_file.c
> shows the same problem.
That bug has now been fixed in SVN (the github mirror hasn't caught up
yet). Thanks for reporting it.

> https://github.com/openstreetmap/mod_tile/commit/398310fdf662d56a283801a8274a072c07983a8b#store_file.c
> shows that the file was initially added with the bug.
>
> Such a bug makes me think that the current revision isn't a stable one
> since it breaks to whole functioning of renderd and not a single tile
> can be generated.
>
> So I'm looking for a SVN revision known to be stable (or a repo that
> holds stable revisions) and wasn't able to locate one yet.

There have been some major refactorings a couple of days ago in mod_tile
/ renderd to support new storage backends. That is when the error you
reported got introduced. So if you take a snapshot from prior to March
23rd it should be more stable.

However, Fedora seems to have upgraded to Apache 2.4, and until a commit
2 days ago, mod_tile had build issues as the apache 2.4 and 2.2 apis are
not compatible.

I am also hopping to expand http://ci.openstreetmap.org/ to provide
automatic (build) testing on a variety of different platforms, including
Fedora 18, so that errors with incompatibilities between systems can be
spotted faster.

So far there are no releases or stable branches of mod_tile / renderd or
osm2pgsql. However, as things mature and more and more people rely on
them, it is time to have a more proper release process for these software.

Kai