[OSM-dev] mod_tile stable version ?

Bernard Fouché bernard.fouche at kuantic.com
Wed Mar 27 09:12:53 UTC 2013

Le 26/03/2013 17:16, Kai Krueger a écrit :

> There have been some major refactorings a couple of days ago in
> mod_tile / renderd to support new storage backends. That is when the
> error you reported got introduced. So if you take a snapshot from
> prior to March 23rd it should be more stable.
>
> However, Fedora seems to have upgraded to Apache 2.4, and until a
> commit 2 days ago, mod_tile had build issues as the apache 2.4 and 2.2
> apis are not compatible.
>
> I am also hopping to expand http://ci.openstreetmap.org/ to provide
> automatic (build) testing on a variety of different platforms,
> including Fedora 18, so that errors with incompatibilities between
> systems can be spotted faster.
>
> So far there are no releases or stable branches of mod_tile / renderd
> or osm2pgsql. However, as things mature and more and more people rely
> on them, it is time to have a more proper release process for these
> software.
>
> Kai

Hello Kai,

I stopped using renderd because of the crashes I got (it can be a thread
race condition bug since the bug disappears when running renderd with
valgrind).

I fully agree about the need of a real release process: it took me many
days to figure how to have Nominatim and Tirex running, mainly because
the information is split in different wiki pages written from 2010 to
early 2013 (I ignored ealier info)  and none of them reports the release
numbers used when wiki entries were written. One also have to search in
mailing list to fix issues that show up one after the other. It was a
painful road, nearly each step of the installation brings a new step
that does not work at first, it may be necessary to backtrack to some
earlier step, change of version/package, retry, etc.

For instance F18 provides postgreql 9.2 but postgis 1.5: one has to get
postgis 2 but also to apply legacy.sql, bring stuff from mapnik source
code, get files (like coastlines) from here and there, figure how to
configure postgresql (that I never used before) etc.

I'm actually trying to configure a secondary system to check that I
didn't forget to note something, to be able to reinstall a system if
this is needed in the future: I have currently a list of about *60*
different things to do one after the other and I still have to add Tirex
setup (and pray that the resulting system is a working one). I have to
save copies of the versions of the different projects to be sure of what
I use since I can't rely on stable versions of different components. And
if someone is using that list in a couple of weeks, some parts will have
to be updated/rechecked etc. so the installation is messy at best.

   Bernard