[OSM-dev] Chinese spam diaries, an analysis

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Dec 4 11:33:06 UTC 2014

On 04/12/14 11:17, Andreas Labres wrote:
> On 03.12.14 17:14, Andy Allan wrote:
>> Thanks for the analysis, I hope it provides developers with ideas for
>> combatting it via the automated spam filters that we already have[1].
>
> I'd suggest to extend/refine the automated filter somewhat. Say:
>
> * a "novice" ist not allowed to post at all
> * a "novice" who did some changesets is allowed to post say once per day
> * an "intermediate" is allowed to post say once per hour
> * for an "expert" (either subscribed for years or lots of changesets) the
> posting limit is waived

So in other words, most of things we already factor in to our spam
scoring... We're just not quite as rigid.

In particular you can still post (within reason) without having made any
edits - it is actually surprisingly common for non-spammers to do that.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/