[OSM-dev] Google Summer of Code 2015 Application

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 13:18:54 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 7:18 AM, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote:

> On 11.02.2015 02:44, Cristiano Giovando wrote:
> > Are there any plans to apply for GSoC this year? I found this page [1]
> > on the wiki, but it hasn't been updated since November. [...]
> > [1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2015
>
> I'm also interested in the plans for this year's GSoC. The application
> period for organizations ends next Friday, so we should act now if we
> want OSM to part of this Summer of Code. I believe OSM should apply and
> I am willing to volunteer for administrative tasks or mentoring if needed.
>
> We've discussed this topic in our local community and tried to contact
> Ian, who organized OSM's participation in GSoC in the past, but we have
> not yet received a reply.

Hi folks,

I was not planning on applying for GSoC this year due to the lack of
interest in previous years. OSM's developer community is sparse – there are
very few people working on OSM software and those that do are already busy
or otherwise uninterested in helping a student, so trying to get
mentor/developer buy-in is nearly impossible.

I think the key to a successful GSoC is for individual projects within the
OSM software community to come up with interesting projects and mentors
specific to their software. JOSM, iD, osm2pgsql, ogr2osm, nominatim, and
overpass are all mature software projects that exist within the OSM
ecosystem and I've had very little luck getting their developers to express
any interest in GSoC in the past.

Having said that, I'm excited to see HOT apply for GSoC. It sounds like
they've got some great project ideas and would attract great students.

I'm happy to apply to GSoC for OSM, but I want to see some buy-in or
interest from OSM software projects and their maintainers first. Tobias: I
haven't heard from you yet. Please send me an e-mail. Let's talk about what
you have in mind.