[OSM-dev] Application for Google Summer of Code 2015

Cristiano Giovando cristiano.giovando at hotosm.org
Fri Feb 13 21:51:12 UTC 2015

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 1:19 PM, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 2:43 PM, Peter Barth <osm-peda at won2.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> there seems nobody eager to apply to GSoC this year.
>
> That's not true at all. I was discussing this with Kate Chapam just
> yesterday, and was discussing how successful our last two years have
> been.

Hi Serge and Peter - HOT is planning to apply for GSoC as well, see my
previous email to the list [1]. We don't want by any mean overlap
efforts, but instead collaborate if there are projects that could
benefit both HOT and the OSM community in general. Let us know if you
see anything that may be more relevant to the humanitarian OSM
mapping, and please add it to the list here [2]

> I was the mentor for our project last year.
>
>> Tordanik and I are willing to step forward and do the
>> administrative tasks, including applying OpenStreetMap to
>> GSoC. As time rushes, we will wait for this weekend for any
>> objections. We also hope to get access to the (admin) documents
>> of last year's application.
>
> I just don't have a good grasp of the application process, but I'd be
> happy to mentor again.

The main part of the organization application - which is due in 7 days
- is a list of proposed project ideas, with details for what each one
requires. See more information here [3]. In addition you have to
answer a list of about 11 questions [4].

Cheers,

Cristiano

[1] https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2015-February/028292.html
[2] https://github.com/hotosm/HOT-Project-Ideas/labels/GSoC2015