[OSM-dev] Extracting data for testing low scale rendering

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Mon Jul 13 17:28:48 UTC 2015

On 7/13/2015 5:41 AM, Daniel Koć wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to know how to extract from planet.osm only the features
> visible on 1-6 or even 1-7 levels in osm-carto (default OSM style).
> Mateusz Konieczny has already tried to do something like this, but hit
> the wall at the moment:
>
> http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=514998#p514998
>
> If anyone can help us with it in any way, we would appreciate it a
> lot. It would be very useful for massive testing of proposed highway
> rendering changes and general low scale rendering problems.

Import on a more powerful machine, delete unwanted data,
re-sort/re-cluster tables, and pg_dump with -Z 9. That's what I did with
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2015-July/028625.html

I got it down from 100GB to 50GB in-database, 25GB compressed pg_dump.
This is about the same download size as the planet. You could probably
get father by dropping small polygons or buildings with addresses