[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql development PPA

sebastic sebastic at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 22 09:37:47 UTC 2015

On 2015-09-22 10:53, Paul Norman wrote:
> I intend to package osm2pgsql releases, but need to set up scripts for
> that. I don't have an ETA, as it's all unpaid volunteer work.

Why package osm2pgsql releases separately when the distribution
packagers already do that?

Is it just to service the Ubuntu userbase that isn't well served by the
UbuntuGIS PPA anymore?

As a Debian Developer maintaining most of GIS & OSM packages in the
Debian GIS team, osm2pgsql included, I strongly discourage 3rd party
packages, the quality tends not to be as good as the official packages
and not well integrated with the distribution (especially rebuilds for
transitions of library dependencies).

Having easy access to development snapshots is added value that the PPA
can provide, but to duplicate the release builds is an unnecessary waste
of time.

Kind Regards,

Bas