[OSM-dev] carto 0.16.0 released

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Wed Apr 13 09:26:48 UTC 2016

On 13/04/16 10:51, Jóhannes Birgir Jensson wrote:
> Þann 13.04.2016 07:25, Oleksiy Muzalyev reit:
>> A civil UAV pilot usually studies a map of the area, weather forecast,
>> satellite images, etc. while working on a flight plan. An icon of a
>> tower with its height on the map would be beneficial in my opinion.
>
> Whilst I agree a tower icon might be nice (but I'm more thinking of
> rural Botswana where they are the only links to the outside world) a
> UAV pilot might want to check out 3D maps as well - where if the
> heights are marked in OSM this will be more obvious:
>
> F4Map and Odessa tower:
> http://demo.f4map.com/#lat=46.4501075&lon=30.7396214&zoom=17
> OSMBuildings:
> http://osmbuildings.org/?lat=46.45011&lon=30.73962&zoom=16.2&rotation=-10&tilt=45
>
> Clearly any map catering to UAV needs might have to color the
> buildings by their height - not their role.
Very interesting. Thank you. I did not even know about these projects. I
will definitely use these 3D maps.

However, even on these 3D maps there is no icon for the communication
tower. The (man_made=tower; tower:type=communication) is of interest to
the unmanned aviation not only because of the height, i.e. a risk of a
collision, but mostly because its strong electro-magnetic emissions in
some cases may interfere with the remote control signal and the
navigation system (on-board magnetic compass). It is not difficult to
avoid them knowing where they are.

The UAV cargo delivery technology is mostly of interest to Africa [1],
where ground roads in rural areas are often unreliable in a rainy
season. But even in modern urban centers, delivering say paper documents
between banks by air may free roads from hurrying couriers and by this
make traffic safer.

Fortunately, other related tags: power-lines, wind generators,
lighthouses, are already well rendered with an icon on the OSM map.

[1]
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/10/05/architecture/gallery/rwanda-droneport-foster-epfl/