[OSM-dev] OSM Level of Detail for GSoC 2017

Balázs Dukai balazs.dukai at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 20 14:27:38 UTC 2016

Hi Peda,

yes indeed, yours is a very pertinent question. For the problem of
differentiating between low-detail complex buildings and high-detail
simple buildings currently I have two ideas. One, check the spatial
distribution of the level of detail. This is based on the assumption
that buildings in a spatial cluster are mapped in similar level of
detail. I'm aware that there are several exceptions to this that might
make my assumption invalid. Secondly, use an authorative data set to
compare the detail of the footprints. Again, assuming that the
authorative data set is consistent in its level of detail.

I admit that I was not aware of your second point, so thank you for
bringing it to my attention. Which also helps me understand the
limitations of such a method to enrich the OSM database. I will still
work with OSM data in my thesis, however my project for GSoC 2017 if off
the table.

In general, my work is focused on the statistical comparison of
footprints or 3D buildings by using a machine learning approach. However
I'm still in the middle of developing the method, and ultimately I would
like to know that until what extent is the automatic inference of LOD
possible.

Thank you very much for your feedback!
Balázs

--
Balázs Dukai
MSc Geomatics engineer candidate | MEng Landscape architect