[OSM-dev] GSOC: JOSM Plugin to assist with adding public transport routes

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 19:52:27 UTC 2016

I proposed to create the plugin as a GSoC project and I think it remains
valid as a proposal. The code written for Poland and another
proof-of-concept written in Python can serve as an 'inspiration', but the
best way would be to start mostly with a clean slate.

We need a proper plugin to assist us with creating PT routes, just in order
to be able to maintain the routes we have and to create new ones.

There are 2 problems with these routes:
- they are fragile, other editors don't always take them into consideration
when editing OSM data or understand them
- they are prone to change. Itineraries tend to change relatively often

There is another problem: there are an enormous lot of them and manually
changing them when changing the underlying road network changes is a lot of
work. Most contributors get discouraged by this, which is understandable.

So what do we need?
A tool to detect broken/interrupted route relations
A tool to mend existing relations. Sometimes they are broken because ways
are split and not all parts get (re)added. Sometimes they are
broken/interrupted because ways are recombined disregarding the relation,
so there is an 'overshoot'
A tool that can create (part of) a route between a series of stops.
Since I don't mind doing this once manually, my solution was as follows:
Try to find another relation with the same sequence of stops, that already
has an uninterrupted sequence of ways.
Figure out which of those ways lie between the first and last stop (for as
long a sequence as possible) and copy those ways over.

The result of that 'exercise' is a route relations that was usually still
interrupted. For those stretches, it may make sense to try and determine a
plausible path, propose to the user and add to the route relation when OK,
try to figure ou another path if not. At some point give up and let the
user do it him/herself. The user can also accept a solution and then mend
it to what the bus actually does.

If the user accepts a solution, apply it and do what is needed to the road
network (it's likely ways will have to be split).

I'm willing to demonstrate all this during a hangout. Since you are in
India, time zones work against us... our European evening is very late at
night for you. I can also create a screencast video.

Polyglot