[OSM-dev] Application for Google Summer of Code 2016

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Fri Mar 4 21:07:13 UTC 2016

Peter Barth wrote:
> just to let you know, Ian Dees, Tordanik and I are this year's org
> admins for GSoC.

We're getting quite a few prospective developers turning up in the #osm IRC
channel enquiring, and I'm afraid none of us really know what to say to them
apart from "um, try some mapping so that you understand OSM".

Would it be possible for some of the admins, and some of the mentors,  to

a) monitor #osm for prospective GSoCcers
b) create a nice "here's how to get started" page for the absolute newbie
developer
c) create and staff a new #osm-gsoc channel
d) or something?

Especially true of mentors - if you put a project on the wiki page because
you think it should be done, you need to follow through with a commitment to
helping it get done. ;)

Thanks!

cheers
Richard