[OSM-dev] Custom tileset

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 15:05:07 UTC 2016

On 22/03/2016 13:22, Daniel Koć wrote:

> I would use Docker images when possible - they help to avoid system
> clutter. Think of them as of "meta-packages" with default
> configuration for a given task (but without messing with system-wide
> settings) and are kind of virtualization (but without sacrificing the
> speed).
>
> I would start with those (be aware that I haven't actually use it, I
> just _would_ start if I try to render tiles myself):
>
> https://hub.docker.com/r/homme/openstreetmap-tiles/
> https://github.com/geo-data/openstreetmap-tiles-docker

I think that makes a _lot_ of sense, but I suspect that people who
haven't used Docker before (like me) would need a bit more info than is
currently in
https://github.com/geo-data/openstreetmap-tiles-docker/blob/master/help.txt
.

It looks like this is something that "can be made to work" rather than
"actually does work now" (specifically, see
https://github.com/geo-data/openstreetmap-tiles-docker/issues/18#issuecomment-168658927
and https://github.com/geo-data/openstreetmap-tiles-docker/pull/19 ,
which is still open).

It's also unclear after an initial scan of the text there what OSM data
will be loaded, what OSM style will be used and whether I need Apache
externally, among other things.  That doesn't mean that there's anything
wrong with it - it just might need (depending on the audience) a bit
more wrapped around it.

Cheers,

Andy