[OSM-dev] Submitting proposal for GSoC 2017

Hriday N Sanghvi hriday_nilesh at srmuniv.edu.in
Sat Feb 18 05:26:32 UTC 2017

Hello Sarah,

Thank you for guiding me through the first steps in developing an
implementation plan for the project titled “Improve Postcode Handling”.

I have gone through http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Elements to better
understand the OSM data model. I now have a fair idea of what nodes, ways,
relations, tags are and how they are related to each other. I also went
through http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:addr and
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dpostal_code and
understand how postcodes are either mapped to an address or to an area
within a geo fence. I also built and ran a few addr:postcode and
 boundary:postal_code queries using the Overpass Turbo Wizard (
https://overpass-turbo.eu/ )for examples of the data output on the map.

I went through https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal_code to get a general
idea about postcode systems. The characters used in postal codes are the
Arabic numerals "0" to "9", letters of the ISO basic Latin alphabet, spaces
and hyphens. India has a 6 character numeric postcode, but many countries
have alphanumeric postcodes with varying number of characters.

I have experience in installing Wordpress, WooCommerce and other Ecommerce
softwares on AWS. Hence, I plan to install Nominatim on AWS Server - free
tier (https://aws.amazon.com/free/ ). However, from what I’ve read, it
looks like 1 GB of RAM provided under free tier may not be sufficient. I
would appreciate if you could suggest alternative low cost/free servers. In
addition to
https://github.com/twain47/Nominatim/blob/master/docs/install-on-ubuntu-16.md
and
https://github.com/twain47/Nominatim/blob/master/docs/Import_and_update.md
, I will also refer to the following installation guides:
https://www.snip2code.com/Snippet/248983/Instructions-for-installing-an-OpenStree
, https://andrewwhitby.com/2014/12/18/nominatim-on-ec2/ ,
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nominatim/Installation .

Thank you.