[OSM-dev] full history files on Geofabrik server

Sebastian K├╝rten sebastian.kuerten at fu-berlin.de
Tue Feb 21 08:56:54 UTC 2017

Hi,

I took this as an opportunity to check osm4j's support for history
files. From what I understand the main difference to ordinary data files
is that elements with the same id appear multiple times and they carry
the 'visible' attribute. During testing I noted that I would not find
any nodes with the visibility set to false, which appears strange to
me? Can this be true, or is there likely something wrong with either
the data or the code that processes it?

I've set up a minimal example that counts and sums up the visibility of
each entity type in Bremen:

https://github.com/topobyte/osm4j-examples/blob/master/src/main/java/de/topobyte/osm4j/examples/history/HistoryVisibilityStats.java

Here's the output:

    nodes: 2389608 visible, 0 invisible
    ways: 729714 visible, 27604 invisible
    relations: 67500 visible, 1632 invisible

The data file used is this:
http://download.geofabrik.de/europe/germany/bremen.osh.pbf

Thank you for any hints,
Sebastian