[OSM-dev] Removing functionality and giving just No as answer

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski me at komzpa.net
Fri Feb 24 12:46:38 UTC 2017

пт, 24 февр. 2017 г. в 14:44, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu>:

> On 24/02/17 11:27, Dave F wrote:
>
> > On 24/02/2017 10:26, Jóhannes Birgir Jensson wrote:
> >>
> >> It was closed and rejected in a very abrupt and unconstructive manner.
> >
> > Yes. This seems to be Tom Hughes's default reaction. He's certainly
> > trigger happy with the close button.
>
> Tickets can always be reopened.

Unfortunately, discussion can't happen in tickets where discussion was
limited to collaborators:
https://github.com/openstreetmap/operations/issues/122

Discussion can happen outside, but from my experience tickets are being
closed at sight and aren't really being reopened. People just go away and
chat "oh how stupid we can do nothing about it" in chats.

It also doesn't create a friendly atmosphere at all when you get a response
like this minutes after creating a ticket:
https://pp.vk.me/c837224/v837224128/2859d/dX2cSI8qmY4.jpg (and it gets
reopened after IRC discussion and this comment gets magically disappeared).

Also an issue being closed makes it look like it already was addressed and
"there's nothing we can do", while there are still a lot of things that can
be done:
https://github.com/openstreetmap/operations/issues/135 (/map call is
extremely inefficient now, and that's architectural issue).

Closing tickets like this makes it look like there are no issues in the
project. So when Foundation Board has a meeting, how exactly can they get
the idea there's a set of internal issues to handle, and it may be worth at
the point hiring someone to resolve it, instead of hoping for volunteers to
handle the low-level architecture issues in their free time?

If I'm going to say no to something I might as well close it at the same