[OSM-dev] Unified Preset Management System GSOC 2017

Peter Barth osm-peda at won2.de
Wed Mar 1 22:28:37 UTC 2017

Hello Rohit,

thank you for considering our great project OpenStreetMap.

The Unified Preset Management System is an especially hard task as it
contains a lot of social interaction. The important thing is to get all
major project developers of OSM editors on a table and check out their
expectations and their willingness to join forces.

As you were talking about Python and Django I'm not sure, you're yet
aware what this project idea exactly is about. So as a first step it is
quite important to get to know to presets at all and this is best done
by starting to map. I.e. you should create an account on osm.org and
start to add data in your area using the different editors (JOSM, iD and
Vespucci). Add all kind of stuff: Pubs, stores, streets, street names,
addresses,... this way you'll see existing presets in action and you'll
see the scope and features of presets. Once you know that, you'll get a
much better idea how a unified preset management system might work, what
it should be capable of and what skills you need to implement it.

Hope that helps as a first step,
Peda