[OSM-dev] GSoC 17 : JOSM- New main menu

Michael Zangl openstreetmap at michael.fam-zangl.net
Tue Mar 7 18:47:21 UTC 2017

Hi Nathiesha,

For this particular project, I'd recommend that you familiarize yourself
with the editing options that JOSM provides. Fell free to install many
plugins and see how they integrate into JOSM.

You should also get familiar with the menu code, starting at the
MainMenu class. It currently has a lot of public fields and other ugly
code. You should develop a cleanup plan for both the source code and the
the visual menu. Feel free to use object-oriented approaches. The new
menu should be compatible to the old API as good as possible, since all
JOSM plugins depend on it and we don't want to break them all. You can
use the adapter pattern for this, so don't worry too much about it.

Michael