[OSM-dev] GSoC 17 : Nominatim- Add Wikidata to Nominatim

Sarah Hoffmann lonvia at denofr.de
Wed Mar 15 19:39:16 UTC 2017

Hi Amisha,

thanks for your intersted in GSoC.

The Nominatim source code is a good start. You should try to set up your
own database using a small excerpt of a region you are familiar with
(ready made excerpts of OSM data are available at
http://download.geofabrik.de/). Play a bit around with the database
and try to understand how OSM objects and their tags are used in
the database schema.

For the wikidata project you should pay particular attention to
the import process. Have a look at the preprocessed wiki data we
provide (http://www.nominatim.org/data/wikipedia_article.sql.bin
and http://www.nominatim.org/data/wikipedia_redirect.sql.bin).
Recreating updated versions of these files will be the first task
of the GSoC project.

I would als recommend that you have a look at the Wikipedia and
Wikidata dumps and research a bit what tools for processing are
available.

I hope that helps you getting started. If you have questions,
I recommend that you subscribe to the geocoding mailinglist
(https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/geocoding)

Kind regards

Sarah