[OSM-dev] GDPR implementation on planet.osm.org

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Jun 20 13:08:52 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 06/20/18 11:38, Jochen Topf wrote:
> And if you actually want to make sure that redacted data (because the
> user wanted it to be deleted) is deleted downstream also,

We will not try to "make sure" that this happens, but we plan to offer
help for downstream data processors, likely by publishing some sort of
feed or list of user deletions and redactions. This hasn't been specced
out yet, and doesn't have to be at this point in time.

We sure as hell don't intend to track and record who accesses OSM user data.

> It might be "the least disruptive", but if it doesn't make any sense,
> that doesn't make it better. Any judge will laugh at you if you tell
> them: Well, we trust the million users we already have and the other 6
> billion who can sign on to OSM anonymously more than we trust the
> general public.

I think that setting out clear terms for the users we already have and
those who might sign up in the future *is* a step in the right
direction. It conveys the message that personal data isn't handed out
willy-nilly, and that you have a certain responsibility when dealing
with it.

> It is a step towards making the project more closed and burying it in
> burocracy.

I don't see that.

> You are ceding ground

This isn't a war between us and the EU in which we "cede ground". I
don't even think that being able to bandy around personal information
about OSM users is a goal worth fighting for. If I had to decide whether
the fact that everyone can stalk our mappers using OSM data is a
necessary side effect of our work, or counter to our interests, I would
probably lean towards the latter.

> instead of arguing that this data needs to be public for everyone.

Any judge will laugh at you if you say that the information that user
John Smith has mapped something at 4:23 on the 3rd of January needs to
be public for everyone. Why would it, outside of a very narrow number of
QA related use cases?

Bye
Frederik