[OSM-dev] GDPR implementation on planet.osm.org

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Wed Jun 20 14:50:03 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 03:08:52PM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> > instead of arguing that this data needs to be public for everyone.
>
> Any judge will laugh at you if you say that the information that user
> John Smith has mapped something at 4:23 on the 3rd of January needs to
> be public for everyone. Why would it, outside of a very narrow number of
> QA related use cases?

If you publish a book you can't later force everybody who bought the book
to remove the author either. The law shouldn't be applicable to what we
are doing here and we should argue that it isn't. If we bend ourselves
backwards to try to comply to something that doesn't fit and can't fit,
we have already lost the political case and the legal case, and broken
the openness this project needs.

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  jochen at remote.org  https://www.jochentopf.com/  +49-351-31778688