[Diversity-talk] Who Maps The World

me at chrisfleming.org me at chrisfleming.org
Mon Mar 19 14:07:58 UTC 2018

On 18/03/18 at 03:23pm, Charlotte Wolter wrote:
>    Paul,
>
>            A kindergarten is a school, not a child-care center. They are two
>    fundamentally different things. Also, child-care centers serve a range of
>    ages, not just 5-year-olds. I, too, tried to find a real child-care tag a
>    few months ago. There is none, and "kindergarten" doesn't cut it.

This sounds to me like a very US centric view?

So my view of tagging of places providing childcare is that somewhere
along the lines we've ended up using kindergarten where childcare would
have been a much better tag.

Sitting here in the UK, where kindergarten has no specific meaning this
isn't necessarily a problem, in fact this isn't just OSM, there is a
nursery which looks after babies up to school age near me called Rainbow
Kindergarten - https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2265830355

This definitely isn't a school.

If I open up ID to edit this the description is Preschool/Kindergarten.

The wikipedia tag on kindergarden does illustrate to me why kindergarten
is or isn't appropriate depending on where in the world you live.and if
it's a word more commonly used for childcare or not. Although if you're
not speaking english then the problem to some extent disappears.

So looking around where I live and map, a quick look on osmturbo find 99
amenity=kindergarten But if we were using the US definition of kindergarten
then we would have 0 mapped as we don't have a specific pre school child care
for 5 year olds

Or have I missed something here?

So do we want to propose switching from amenity=kindergarten as a
general pre-school childcare tag to the more descriptive and general
case amenity=childcare tag? Or improve the description of the existing
tag and promote subtags, for example to distinguish the general case from
the US case and or use age's.

Cheers
Chris