[HOT] H.O.T OSM manual and learning OSM in Uganda

Emir Hartato emir.hartato at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 11:25:51 GMT 2011

Hi Douglas,

I am working as an intern with HOT for pilot in Indonesia.

I agree with with Daniel, using Potlatch is not an option for us. But I
believe we included a little introduction to Potlatch 2 and how to adding
POI to the map. And in my opinion, using JOSM is better than Potlatch:
1. Works offline and you can save your work
2. Avoid mistakes by using validation tools
3. Plugins which makes your edit easier
4. Tagging presets (you can make your own preset and put it on JOSM)
5. You can translate JOSM into your own local language, we did translate
half of it into Bahasa Indonesia
..and more features

But it you feel using Potlatch is more comfortable, well that is up to you
=)
Anyway, I did check on those link, some of lines are overlapped, but
buildings are good =)

And I agree with Daniel, you should create tasking manager because most of
overlapped objects are caused by multiple edit (same area of interest at
the same time). Or, simply, before you starting your mapping day:
1. Print the whole area that you want to be mapped by clicking Export tab
on OSM site
2. Divide those area by drawing grids on the printed map. For example, if
you have 4 surveyors then you might want to divide it into 4 grids)
3. Now each surveyor has a specific area to map, and when they put the data
into OSM, it should be okay now. A minor edit would be needed to connect
all the map =)

Good luck Douglas! :)

And for Daniel, we have introduction slides. Do you need it in English or
Bahasa? I only have Bahasa version, ask Kate if you want English one :)

--
*Best Regards,*
*Emir Hartato*

*Departement of Geography*