[HOT] [OSM-talk] Details about the edits in Uganda and the OSM tasking manager

Emir Hartato emir.hartato at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 04:16:37 GMT 2011

Hi Douglas,

Just adding a little bit more information based on what Kate told you about.
So within the pilot, we trained 5 universities in 5 cities and 8 rural
areas. We held one day workshop for the universities because our assumption
that students should have quick understanding and could catch all training
materials pretty well. And we held two days workshop in rural areas based
on participant background just like Kate told you about.

But, we could made wrong assumption, there always technical problems such
as internet problem, computer virus problem when we tried to hand-over
training materials trough the flash drive, problem caused from participant
computer (keep crashing over and over or won't connect to the internet),
there would be a lot of unexpected problem that would made the training
slower than expected.

Then, we did some training in several rural areas with different approach.
Like we did in Kupang for example, after you knew the background of the
participant, you might want to ask some simple question like how often the
participant using computer and internet, what kind of computer programs
which they use it pretty often, what kind of website which they visit it
pretty often, how many people who already did some mapping (either
traditional paper or digital mapping), etc. Then we divided the group into
a pair (1 people who have enough understanding about computer and 1 people
who don't have enough understanding), and then we asked the whole pair to
help each other.

Hope this information is helpful for your future OSM training/workshop!
Good luck :)

--
*Best Regards,*
*Emir Hartato*